Sunday, October 24, 2010

Vacation Calls

"Call me if there is any problem and you need help" I told my Associate Professor before proceeding on my thirteen day vacation. "OK" she said. But I knew she was capable and would not have to call me. Well, she did not, but others at the hospital did. On the very first day, the Boss' personal secretary called, and gave me a message. I told her I was on vacation, and to call the person looking after my work henceforth. Then I called the hospital and got the appropriate person to do that work. She called me again the next day. I requested her to comply with my request made the previous day. She called as soon as I put the phone down and said the Boss wanted to speak to me. I spoke to him, gave him the information he wanted, and he promised to get to the person who was handling my department in my absence. The third day the person himself called and took advice on some matter, after saying he was sorry to disturb me. A couple of days went by without any further calls. Then the telephone operator called to say the meeting scheduled for the next day was postponed. That was the first time I learned that a meeting was scheduled that day. I told him I was on vacation and would he please call the next person in command. he said he would. For two days after that there have been no calls. I am quite upset there are no calls. I miss the hospital and the people there. I used to go to the operation theater once a week during my vacations in the past, to assist with operations so that work would not suffer. I cannot do that any more because there are a large number of jobs waiting for being done, and they will remain until the next vacation if I go to the hospital only because I like it. The resident doctors will also be unhappy, because the Boss' vacation is a sort of vacation for them too. The office staff will be unhappy, because they probably feel obligated to be present at prescribed times when I am around. Vacation is a time to stay home and study, so as to get ready for work again" one additional commissioner had said. I wonder where he got this management principle, and whether he applies this to his own vacations too. As my favorite management Guru Stephen Covie puts it, it is the time to sharpen the axe, to recharge, to rejuvenate, and not doing what that additional commissioner said. Fortunately no full timer took him seriously.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क