Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wrong Person To Mess With

“Sir, we have a problem.” It was my job to listen to people and suggest solutions to problems reported. “What is it?” I asked. “We have this first year resident doctor, who is creating problems. He is extremely irregular in his work. He disappears on his on call day. Then the other first year resident ends up doing his call. The seniors have told him not to do that, but he does not listen. The other houseman is tired because she is overworked. Finally she complained to me. Now she has disappeared too.” “That is a serious matter” I said. “But that is not all. The really serious matter is far worse. He has threatened a patient and also the other houseman.” “What threats had he given? I asked. “The patient he threatened was undergoing daily dressing for wound breakdown. That day he told the patient to say that he had dressed her wound, if asked by a senior doctor. He said he would dress the wound an hour later. But he never went to do the dressing. The patient's relative reminded him repeatedly throughout the day, but to no avail. Finally he threatened the patient he would slap her.” “Did you ask him for an explanation?” I asked. Threatening patients was criminal behavior. “Yes. He said he did not actually mean to hit her. He just said it.” “Verbal threat is as bad as actually hitting someone” I said. “What about the threat to the other houseman?” “She has run away, so I cannot get any information from her. But the others who were present that time said that he said 'You have messed with a wrong person' to her.” That sounded like villain from a B or C grade movie. The said houseman was from a wealthy family, with highly qualified parents. This sort of behavior was not expected from a doctor, that too from such a family. “Give him a memo for running away from duty” I said. “We will send a complaint to the administrative office when we get a complaint from the houseman he has threatened.” “He seems to be psychotic” the said boss said. “I am inclined to agree with you” I said. “Oh God! Why do I land up with resident doctors with psychiatric disorders all the time? They keep troubling me so!” That must have been due to bad luck. Actually this boss was quite strict and had good control on the resident doctors. “Deal firmly with him” I advised. “Let him understand he is messing with the wrong person.”

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क