Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Suggestion Box

When I became the Head of my department, I was enthusiastic, and quite keen to bring about changes for better. I was full of ideas. At the same time, I was keen to pick up ideas from others if worthwhile. I soon realized that very few staff members wanted any change, leave alone wanting to contribute any ideas for a change.I strongly urged the resident doctors to make any suggestions on the department’s management they felt like. No resident doctor came forward to ask for any change that would improve things for themselves, leave alone the institute. I thought they were not feeling ready to meet me in person, so I went to the market, purchased a letter box, and got the hospital carpenters to fix it outside my office, Then I printed “Suggestion Box" in New Times Roman" font size 72, and pasted it on the front of the letter box. Initially I opened it everyday. When there was nothing found in it over 2 weeks, I reduced the frequency to twice a week, and later once a week. Finally it dwindled to once a month. Nothing was dropped in for one whole year, then an outgoing resident asked me if I had read his suggestion. I had not, because it was not one month since I had opened the box last. I opened it, discussed the issues with him, and he left the institute. Then another year went by, without any more suggestions. Finally one day I found an empty cover of a sachet of tobacco in it. It could not have been a staff member or a resident doctor, because none of them chewed tobacco. Some patient's male relative must have thought my suggestion box was the dustbin. I appreciated his desire of not throwing his litter on the floor. I removed the box without help from the carpenter, never to put it up again.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क