Sunday, November 8, 2009

Spontaneous Cure of Hardware Errors

This is a new concept in computer hardware. I am not a computer engineer. I’m actually a doctor. But I have been using computers for ages and know a bit about hardware and software. I have observed a new phenomenon over the last many years. I call this phenomenon spontaneous cure of hardware problems. A few years ago my computer just stopped working. It had Windows XP installed on it as the operating system which would just not boot. I decided to install windows XP again but it would not work. Finally I changed the hard disk and installed Windows XP on that again. It worked. In the next vacation my son came back from college and wanted his data on the old hard disk. He was not interested in my new hard disk and its installation. So he connected the old hard disk in the computer and the computer just worked fine. The Windows was OK and it continued to work OK for the duration of his vacation. I continued to use it afterwards too. I do not know how the hard disk problem got sorted out by itself after sleeping for almost six months or if it was the Windows installation that corrected. The main thing was that this correction happened in the absence of any electrical current into the disk. At another time I had a RAM that stopped working. It wouldn’t work in spite of being cleaned with a cloth, isopropyl alcohol, and an eraser that school children use. These were the standard methods used by a computer engineer in our institute. I replaced the RAM but did not throw it away. A similar thing happened in my office and I replaced that RAM too. One day I needed RAM for another computer, and not having any spare RAM I used the ones that were not working. I was surprised to find that both of them were fully functional. How they cured themselves is beyond my ability to explain. The latest example is that of a digital pad made in China that I had purchased for 9900 INR. It worked for less than two years. One day of the pencil cells inside the pad leaked and it stopped working too. I cleaned it thoroughly myself after opening it. I replaced the batteries. I replaced the cell in the digital pen. In spite of all these measures it would not work. It could be switched on OK. I could add new pages and remove old pages from it but it would not accept any writing. Finally I packed it up and went on vacation for two weeks. After coming back I opened the pad again to give it one more try and was immensely surprised that it had started working again. I had actually written off the 9900 INR as a loss and was quite happy to see that it was not a loss. Clearly the main point of all this is that one should not throw away hardware that seems to have stopped functioning and cannot be repaired, unless there is a space crunch for storage. There is a new phenomenon that has not been described in the computer industry so far, that seems to correct hardware errors that seem resistant but sometimes cure themselves just on being kept in storage. Perhaps it is reorientation of magnetic elements in the hardware. Perhaps it is drying. Perhaps it is accumulation of some dust that joins tiny circuits that were broken. It sounds silly, I suppose, but the phenomenon exists. If my theories are amateurish and wrong, I hope some knowledgeable person explains the phenomenon scientifically. In the meantime I am keeping all the expensive hardware that seems to be irreparable though looks OK physically.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क