Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Air Conditioner

“Sir, as a head of your department, you can get an air conditioner for your office” our electrical engineer confided in me. “Other staff members do not have that privilege.” “Well, the previous head of department tried until she retired, but could not get one” I said. The office which I inherited from her measures 10 X 10 X 10 feet, has no cross ventilation, and is extremely warm in summer. “I have a circular that states you can get one” he said. “You put up a letter and we will arrange for you to have one.” “Thanks. But I do not want one” I said. He was surprised. He had probably not met anyone who had not wanted an air conditioner when it came as a perk of the job. “Why?” There were many reasons. It was in my opinion unnatural. It caused a higher risk of respiratory infections in susceptible people. It punched holes in the ozone layer. It added to our carbon footprint and increased global warming. I actually cared, but I did not tell him these reasons, because he would think I was being pompous. But there was a management reason that I thought was much more immediate and I told him that one. “I don’t want one because it creates a divide in my department. My subordinates without air conditioners would feel jealous of me, and our rapport would go down. I want us to work together rather than make them think they have to sweat while I enjoy life.” He went away without any comment. I had a meeting that day with my staff members, and when the topic of air conditioners for their offices came up, I told them only the head of the department could get one. Their body language immediately changed and became a little hostile, or perhaps I imagined it. “But I am not asking for one” I said. Their body language became a question mark. So I told them the reason I had told the engineer. Their body language turned into one big smile. “Actually you should get one,” a professor said with a grin. “Then we all will come to your office and spend a lot of time there.” “That is another reason why I don’t want one” I said with an equally wide grin. They all laughed at that. I don’t know if they laughed because they liked my joke, or because they were de-stressed by the knowledge that I would not become like those big shots that sit in air conditioned offices and apparently distance themselves from others who don’t have that perk.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क