Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Residents' Quarters

I was a resident doctor between 1980 and 1983. In the first year as a house surgeon, I shared a room in the residents' quarters with another resident doctor. Then I became a registrar, and had a room of my own, not shared with anyone. It had an attached toilet and bathroom too. Even if I spent the whole day and some part of the night working, I had my own room to go to, to scatter my books and read them when I pleased, to sleep without disturbance of the room partner's activities when there was time to sleep, to keep my things without worrying anyone would touch them, to go to the toilet and bathroom without having to stand in a queue. In 2010, there are more than 50 residents in my department while there were only 18 in the period from 1980 to 1983. Residents who have completed their residency but have not appeared for their exams (which are usually 2 months after the end of their residency) continue to occupy their rooms officially. They have demolished one hostel building because it was certified unsafe for occupation. Surprisingly it was the newer building, while the older building continues to be solid and dependable. New one will bve built in due course. New residents who come from all over our state as well as from other states in the country have no place to stay in the campus. They have to stay at a place where I would be reluctant to let my son stay if the situation arose, and definitely my daughter if I had one. I hear the boys stay on the ground and first floor, the girls on the second and third floors. There are no toilets, bathrooms and wash basins on the first and third floors. They have to walk down one floor to attend to those needs. The girls take a taxi at 10:30 P.M. to go to their rooms and another in the morning to go back to the hospital. I am scared as a third party, so I can imagine how scared their parents must be. I spoke to the professor who is in charge of the committee for residnets' quarters. He said it would be sorted next year. God be praised.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क