Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Guyanese Gate in Indian Hospital

My hospital has a large number of entry and exit points. In order to improve attendance by personnel, the administration decided to install biometric attendance system. They installed a number of machines near the entry points, and hooked them up to a central server. Any employee could sign in at any terminal. In order to decide who logged in at which terminal, they labelled these terminals electronically. In order to be scientific, they labelled them based on their locations. The two terminals near the main gate were labelled "Main Gate 1" and "Main Gate 2". They recently installed two near the exit of my department. I logged out yesterday at one of these terminals. Usually I do not check what the LCD window says, other than it allowed me access. But I happened to see that it said the terminal was "Guyanese 2". I was surprised. I went to the other terminal nearby and checked what it was called. It was called "Guyanese 1". I Googled the word "Guyanese" to see if it had any meaning other than what I thought it meant. Wikipedia gave the following meaning of the word: "Guyanese may refer to: Something of, from, or related to the country of Guyana; A person from Guyana, or of Guyanese descent." I wondered what Guyana had to do with a civic hospital in India. I had my suspicions, which were backed by my wife when I narrated this to her. "They probably misspelled 'Gynec' as 'Guyanese'. Such things do happen" she said.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क