Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Processor and RAM Power: Computer and Human

I had a huge collection of files in one folder on the netbook. Those were free ebooks. I decided to copy them to an external hard disk and delete them from the hard disk of the netbook. When I selected all the folders in the main folder, and gave the command to move them to the external hard disk, the netbook showed the transfer window, in which it showed that it was discovering the files to be transferred. After time it just disappeared, without having moved a single file. I tried the whole thing three more times, and had the same result. Then I tried to copy all of them instead of moving them. I tried that three times, and the result was the same. Finally I had to copy them about 50 at a time, and after 15 minutes of laborious efforts, the 3.4 GB data got copied to th external hard disk. Then I tried to delete the entire folder from the netbook, and it just sat idle after receiving the command. When four such efforts failed, I deleted the folders 50 at a time. After 15 minutes, two folders still remained, which would not get deleted. When I tried to open them, the netbook told me they did not exist. I wonder why they were seen there but the netbook could not see them. It was probably modesty, like virtues in a person others can see, but the modest person cannot see them in self.
When I tried moving them en masse from external hard disk to a desktop, they moved in 2 minutes, and I could delete the entire folder from the external hard disk in less than 30 seconds. The only difference between the desktop and netbook was that the desktop had twice as much processor speed and twice as much RAM.
That reminded me of a tiny tot I met once on a trip. This fellow was smart. He would repeat every word one said, irrespective of whether he knew its meaning. He thought it was a game, and he repeated anything anyone said, whether they wanted to play the game or not. Everyone in the group tried different words, and he pronounced them all. They were small words. When he pronounced two words of mine correctly, with a victorious smile, I tried “cosmopolyhilipilifilification” on him. He started “co…” and shut up, grin included. It was less of processor speed and RAM I suppose, as expected of his age. I understand the word has no meaning. When I was small, my sister told me it was the longest word in English, and that it meant 'worthless'. Even if the information was worthless, I somehow remembered the word and could reproduce it for testing the smart young fellow. It was not worthless, after all.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क