Sunday, January 15, 2012

Smart Registrars

The Bosses think they are smart because they have managed to become Bosses. Some of the residents think they are smarter than their Bosses, and sometimes they are. The smarter of that lot know it is safer not to let the Boss know that they are smarter. I read about one of the Resident who had been asked to go stand in a corner until he was sorry that he had dared question his Boss’ management plan for one patient. That reminded me of two of my past Registrars. Their work left much to be desired. On one particular day, they jointly and independently goofed up so much that I decided they were dangerous to the patients undergoing operations that day, even if seniors were present in the OT. After all, we could not supervise them at all times.
“Please leave the OT” I told them. “Sit in the ward just outside the OT. If we need you, we will call you. I think we can manage without you.”
We were in transit area that time, owing to repair work of the hospital building. The antenatal ward was in the corridor outside the OT. It was the place which was crossed by practically everyone who went to all the other wards. The idea was that they would be seen by everyone, who would wonder what both of the Registrars were doing there, when their patients were being operated on. That would perhaps humiliate them and encourage them to function better. They would not move even an inch. After telling them in reasonable voice and tone three times, I finally told them sternly to leave. So they turned and went towards the exit. I went into the OT. After one operation got over, I needed to talk to the OT nurse. When I entered her office, I found both of these Registrars hiding there.
“You are here?” I was stunned. “My instructions were for you to go out and sit in the antenatal ward, in full view of all people.”
They avoided meeting my gaze and kept quiet. “You have disregarded my instructions totally” I said. They knew that already. Finally I turned and went away. It was beyond me to improve them. They left after they completed their residency, not much different than they had been before. Though they did not pass their exams then, they will do so one day. What I am afraid of is they may not reach the standard required to treat patients well. Smartness of this type is not what a Boss wants in his students.
Another of my Registrars in the past had been so deficient in work, that I did not know what to do to improve her. One day, she committed three major errors that a House Officer would not have committed, except perhaps she herself when she had been one.
“What disciplinary action should we take against you for harming these many people” I asked her.
She kept quiet for a long time, and after repeatedly being asked the same question, she said “whatever you think fit.”
“Think again” I said.
“I will take whatever punishment you give” she said.
“OK. We demote you to a House Officer’s job, until you improve. The other two Registrars will manage in the meantime” I said.
She was smart. She went on leave immediately without taking my permission. That reminded me of politicians who fall sick and get admitted to hospitals whenever they are sent to jail. She passed her exam and went away. I hope she is not harming patients wherever she is.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क