Thursday, January 2, 2014

Getting Them Hooked

There is this company that markets products like diapers for babies, amongst other things. This company approached the elected head of the town and got a recommendation to be allowed to distribute to all mothers in the postnatal ward a pack of two 'world class' baby diapers, a photo frame, and a pamphlet describing importance of keeping a baby dry during the night so that it slept peacefully (and hence so did the mother). The institute chief advised us to allow the company to do so, and I presume they gave some mothers at least the diapers and a pamphlet. Four years later, they came back with a photocopy of the previous letter and wanted to do the same activity. The sister-in-charge of the ward brought them to me.
"Please show me records of how many times you did this, and when was the last activity" I said. "We will need the Boss' permission again, and the Boss will ask me these questions."
"I will send our boss to meet you" said the company representative and went away. The boss arrived the next day.
"We are just going to give a hamper of two diapers to each baby" he said.
"Your letter says a photo frame too" I said.
"Um... that was the previous scheme" he said. "Now we won't give any photo frames."
"OK. You need a new permission from the civic body" I said.
"Won't the old permission do?" he asked me. It looked like he did not want the hassle of obtaining a permission again."
"I am afraid not" I said. "The last time the activity was forced on us. Now if I get a directive to allow you to distribute your diapers, I will point out the problems to the civic body."
"What problems?" he asked.
"The mothers believe that whatever is given to them in the hospital is by the hospital, and is totally safe. If any baby gets an allergic rash with your product, the parents of the baby will sue us. The other problem is that I look upon this as unethical marketing."
"How?" he asked without much force. He probably knew how.
"You give two diapers free. The mothers like the idea of keeping the baby dry and not having to get up in the night to change wet diapers. Then they have to buy these expensive diapers. It is somewhat like drug peddlers giving free samples to school children to get them hooked. Once they get hooked, they have to buy the drugs."
His face was a study in emotion. I had hit the nail on the head.
"Can't we find a win-win solution to this impasse" he asked. The guy was good. I could not see how it could have been put better and still not appear to be offering a bribe.
"No," I said "the unethical marketing part cannot change even if you do anything for the institute. We don't need anything at the cost of making poor patients buy expensive diapers. I have nothing personal against you. I am just doing my job. I understand marketing your product is your job. Your best bet is to approach the civic body for a permission. I will put my remarks on the paper when it reaches me. My conscience will be clear, even if the civic body chooses to permit you to do what you want to do."
He went away, probably not very happy. I sat there, happy that I had seen the problem in time, and wondering who had allowed this activity the previous time, probably when I was on leave.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क