Friday, March 28, 2014

Many Deep Breaths

Ted Mosby's wife gave wonderful advice to Robin. She said she took three deep breaths when she was overwhelmed. She said that helped her resolve all such situations. For those of you who don't know Ted Mosby - he is the central character in the famous American TV serial 'How I Met Your Mother'. I decided to try that out. Today I had plenty of scope for trying that out. This is how my day went.
Situation
Primary Action
Action After Primary Action
Gynecology OT first operation held up because operating surgeon did not turn up on time
Three deep breaths
Decided to stand in for the operating surgeon, to perform a vaginal hysterectomy
Operating surgeon arrived
Three deep breaths
Decided to allow operating surgeon to operate instead of me.
Operating surgeon likely to open bladder
Three hurried deep breaths
Helped find correct plane and corrected direction of scissors.
Operating surgeon exposed prerectal fat
Three deep breaths
Found posterior peritoneal pouch for the operating surgeon
Operating surgeon likely to clamp ureter
Three deep breaths
Corrected direction of clamp.
Loose ligature
Three deep breaths
Got a figure of eight ligature placed.
Operating surgeon broke continuous stitch near the end
Three deep breaths
Took over and prevented the entire suture line opening up.
Placed right foot in dustbin at foot end of OT table while getting up after previous step
Three deep breaths
Washed foot and OT slipper and disinfected with alcohol based antiseptic.
Cystic ovarian tumor spilled its contents on my left foot while assisting the next operation
Three deep breaths
Washed out, changed, washed left foot and OT slipper, disinfected with alcohol based antiseptic, washed up and resumed assisting.
Second assistant likely to spray aspirated peritoneal fluid on operating surgeon
Three deep breaths
Resolved without any intervention on my part.
Boss asked for urgent information on equipment in the department, while I was still assisting.
Three deep breaths
Got another professor to stand in for me.
An alcoholic boarded my bus, sat next to me, poked me in the ribs and asked what the time was.
Three deep breaths
Said I had no watch on my wrist and turned nose towards window to inhale fresh air rather than his alcohol laden breath.
Sudoku in Times seemed impossible, though it was categorized as ‘easy’
Three deep breaths
Went to sleep, though it was just 6:30 P.M.
Booted computer for work in the evening: dead.
Three deep breaths
Checked current in wall socket, opened box, reattached power cable, checked RAM and other connections, rechecked mother board connections, finally replaced mains power cord.

It was 42 deep breaths, not three. I am not sure if the deep breaths worked or my remedial actions worked primarily. One thing is sure - my body tissues got much more oxygen that they usually do.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क