Thursday, February 4, 2010

Give Me 42 Ranchos

Three representatives of the resident doctors came to meet me today morning. They apologized for being late for the eventful lecture that did not take place yesterday because they were late, and they kept trickling in like they into the canteen at lunch time. “OK, I accept the apology” I said. But they would not go away. I looked at them with a question mark on face, silently asking what else they wanted from me. “Sir, it was an important topic. We want you to teach us that”. “No, it is not possible. I have made that timetable taking into consideration the existing schedule of clinical meetings, holidays, and days convenient to the teachers concerned. Now there are no free slots left until the series gets over.” They continued to look at me, hoping I would give in. But I could not give in because there indeed no free time slots to teach them. “Besides, I am disturbed by a few things. You all seem to have a lack of interest in the education they get or are offered. Your walk is sluggish, your movements are lethargic, and your looks are of disinterest. You seem to be going through your residency waiting for it to run its course, rather than enjoying what you do, and what you learn in that process. You do not show any enthusiasm for seeing new things, doing new things, and learning something new every day.” They kept quiet. I don’t know whether what I said to them registered or they were just waiting for the old man to get his feelings out of his chest. “You seem to be spending your time doing things because you have to do them, rather than because you want to do them, and because you enjoy doing them. You don’t seem to be reading your books, and when you do, the effort seems to be aimed at passing the exams rather than acquiring knowledge that you will cherish. You seem to be like the average students in the movie ‘3 Idiots, and not one of you seems to be like that fellow Rancho in that movie”. Mention of that movie seemed to kindle a spark in their eyes. At least I am hoping I saw it. “Actually I don’t want one Rancho amongst 42 of you,” I said, “I want 42 Ranchos in my department. I promise I will teach you if I see that change in you”. They went away after that, to become Ranchos, I sincerely hope.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क