Friday, February 26, 2010

Trick Question?

Sometimes we take things for granted. For example, we take for granted that postgraduate students will know the undergraduate stuff. I actually planned to ask the undergraduate students this question, but I saw one resident doctor in front of me at that time and just felt that I should check the postgraduates first. So I called all of my unit residents and asked them to write on a piece of paper their names and the year of residency they were doing. Then I asked them, “if we do not clamp the maternal end of the umbilical cord after childbirth, and divide the cord, will the woman keep bleeding from the open end of the cord?” Then I asked them to write their answers on their pieces of paper. To my utmost surprise, they all wrote the patients would bleed through the open end of the divided cord. Some of them stopped the bleeding after some time as the uterus contracted, and the placenta separated from the uterus. I wanted to see if only my unit residents were misinformed, or all of the others were similarly misinformed. So I called all residents from all the other units too, and gave them the test. Out of 22 residents, only one second year resident answered that no maternal blood would be lost but only fetal blood in the placental circulation would be lost. Others answered like my unit residents. Some made their patients bleed through the cord if the placentas were morbidly adherent and did not separate from the uterine walls. It hurt me to know that all of the other 21 postgraduates were unaware that the fetal and maternal circulations did not communicate, and the mother could not bleed through the fetal umbilical cord. I think they all must have known that some time, but never thought about it, and now have stopped thinking about things in general. I don't know what has made once highly intelligent minds now go through the educational process so passively, without any application of the mind.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क