Friday, May 14, 2010

Nightmares in Obstetrics Gynecology: 1

As a child I had a couple of nightmares about ghosts, when I was into reading ghost stories. But that phase passed and I stopped getting nightmares. Many years passes without nightmares, and now I have started again. But these nightmares are different. The old ones were experienced when I was asleep and they woke me up in terror. The new ones are experienced when I am awake and the resultant terror prevents me from going to sleep. These nightmares are some of my residents. They are probably quite decent and pleasant people in real life i.e. life away from their residency. But some of the things they do are nightmarish and so also is their not doing things that they ought to be doing. There was the call in the middle of the night, when my Registrar called to say there was a patient who was wife of chief bodyguard of a leading political party known for its power methods of settling issues. Two housemen took the patient to the OT for a D & C without the Registrar along with them. They started. Something started coming out of the uterus, but they could not make out what. The helper told the performer of the D & C to pull it out and see what came out. What came out looked weird. Then they panicked and called the Registrar. They got an ultrasonic scan done, which showed two bright speckled tracks from the cervix up into the uterus. The sonographer had not seen anything like that in his life. The patient was not bleeding from the uterus. So I told them to observe her and show her to me the first thing on morning round. I could not go back to sleep. I kept thinking of the husband and his fellows running amok in the hospital with swords in their hands. Luckily that did not happen. I performed a D & C on her. It turned out to be a carcinoma, which we treated appropriately and she went home fine.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क