Monday, July 5, 2010

Attendance in “Bandh”

The opposition parties called for All India “Bandh” (stop all work) to protest against hike in petroleum products prices. The public transport was to keep working. I took a bus and reached the hospital before time and started working. I discovered that a number of my staff members had not come, and later found out that they would not come. So I arranged for the emergency services to be looked after by those of us who had managed to report on duty. I was conducting the outpatient services simultaneously. Some time in between, a fellow from the administrative office called. He wanted a list of all those who had reported on duty. “None of my clerical people have come. How do you think I should generate the report?” I asked the fellow on the phone. “Well, others are sending that information” he said, implying it would look bad if I did not do so. So I stopped working long enough to call places and finalize the list of persons who were present. I got the hand written list sent to the administrative office. Later when the flow of patients slowed down, I called the same fellow again. “I have sent the list of people present” I said. “Please tell me why you need the list.” “Why?” he could not understand the question. “The Director wants the list. He has to know who have come on duty and who have not.” “OK. But I want to know the purpose. Are you going to send people where there is a shortage of persons so that services can be given efficiently?” “Well, if you ask the Director, he may be able to do something about it. Do you have a shortage?” “The staff members in charge of the emergency OT have not come. The staff member on emergecy duty has also not come. I have arranged duties of others so that the work will be looked after by those who are present. Now I want to know why you need that list today. It could have been sent tomorrow when the clerks come on duty.”. “Well, it is required to give information to the media- newspaper reporters, TV reporters etc.” I suddenly understood why we were asked for the list of persons working in situations like this and in strikes of municipal employees and resident doctors. Those working to give healthcare had to keep that work aside and generate a list of attendance not so that additional help would be given to them if required, but to brief media. The world had to know who won politically and who lost.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क