Thursday, July 8, 2010

CAP "Babu"

I was working in my OT when the nurse arrived saying I had a call. “Hello” “Hello” said a guy “I am Dr. XXX speaking from the YYY department. I am in charge of the central assessment program of the university in our hospital. The examiners from your department have not come for correction of physiotherapy papers.” “Are you the same person to whom I spoke a couple of days ago?” I asked. He wouldn’t answer that one. “That fellow said he was in charge of CAP in your department. I told him to find out and tell me who the examiners were, so that I would send the concerned persons for the paper correction. I have no idea who they are. The university should tell me, but it has not.” “But you have to send the examiners” he said. “All other department heads have sent their examiners.” “Send me a letter to that effect” I said. I was getting tired of him. “We have sent that letter”.” “I have not received any letter.” “We have acknowledgement.” He seemed to be a typical municipal or government "Babu" rather than a doctor and a teacher. “Well tell me whom to send and I will send them” I said. “I have one name, a Dr. ******.” “That doctor is not in our hospital” I told him. “She is in the hospital across the road, affiliated to our college. Call that hospital and ask for her.” “All exams are conducted in our hospital, not outside the hospital.” He said. “I have been here since 1975” I said in a level voice, counting my undergraduate years as well, but not saying that in so many words. “Exams are conducted in that institute as well.” “Well, if examiners do not come and correct the papers, I will return the uncorrected bundles to the university saying the examiners were not available.” Now he was threatening me. He was a typical "Babu" angry with the work given to him, afraid of higher people and all too ready to threaten others to protect his own skin. I did not know why he was unwilling to call the concerned examiner. “You cannot say that truthfully. You know that person’s name. You know where she is. Ring up and ask her to correct the papers” I advised. “So I ring up medical superintendent of that hospital?” he asked. So that was the fear. He did not know how to call anyone outside the hospital. He could just dial the intercom. “That is right” I said and went back to my patients. I wonder how he managed to get a faculty position in our prestigious institute, even if in an unimportant department as far as patient care was concerned. Merit seems an unlikely method.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क