Monday, November 1, 2010

Ego Crash

That fellow was about ten years older than me. He stayed in the same building as I. He knew my academic career very well, and also my professional career. He became a dentist and set up practice in a nearby place. He moved to another place, but kept visiting our building periodically because his brother stayed there. I met him today when he was there on one of his visits. "So how are you?" he slapped my back. "Very well, thank you" I said, "and you?" "OK" he said. "So what are you doing now? Where are you working?" "I am still at KEM Hospital" I said. "I am not going to leave at this age." "Which department?" he asked. I was all shaken up. If he had asked this question thirty years ago, it would have been understandable. But his asking it today meant all my achievements and contributions to the subject I loved were so insignificant that he did not know about them." "I am shocked you asked this question" I said lightly. "I am an obstetrician and gynecologist. How do you not remember, especially when you had brought your sister to me for treatment, and she had got well with my treatment?" He seemed surprised. "It must be loss of memory due to aging" he said jokingly. "But I said 'hello' to you. That is something." "I think I better leave now" I said. "I will write about you on my blog." "Yes, please do that. I will read your blog" he said walking away. I am wondering how he will read my blog, when he does not know the web address of my blog. I wonder if the blow to my ego was intentional, accidental, or he has got Alzheimer's disease."

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क