Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hardware with Emotions



I would not have believed it if anyone had told me this story. ‘Fibber’ I would have said if I had been a small boy and another boy had told me this. As a young adult, I would have said ‘Are you trying to be funny?’ As a mature adult (meaning old man) I would have probably ignored to story teller as a foolish person, and not said anything, because there is no point telling a fool that he is a fool. But it happened to me, and I am telling the story. So I cannot take any of these stands.
I am still using a desktop computer and the conventional hardware that goes with it. I have a mouse that has served me OK for quite some time. Then it started acting up. The left mouse button would not produce a click on clicking it, or it would click three or four times like a machine gun, producing four windows when I wanted only one. This became especially troublesome when I was using a graphics software. In place of a continuous line, I would get a segmented line. I should have got a new one, but somehow it remained to be done. One day the mouse got so bad, that the left button would not produce any effect no matter how many times I clicked and with how much force. Work stopped. I normally do not get angry with my hardware because it is inanimate. But that day I had such a rage that I lifted the mouse and slammed it on the desk surface. I half expected it to break into pieces. It did not. I tentatively clicked it a few times and it worked like a charm. That reminded me of radio sets which used to get OK with such treatment when I was small. Well, this corrected mouse worked well for a few days and then started going bad again I decided to buy a new one before it stopped totally – after all, slamming it hard might not have worked a second time. So I bought one and kept it in its box pack near the old mouse, planning to attach it the next day. I have not had to attach it for a week now, because the old mouse has started showing exemplary behavior. It does not miss a click, and does not show any confusion between right and left.
You may say it is just coincidence. But two coincidences in a row is a bit too much. I want to believe (even if it sounds irrational) that the old mouse is like a child – it behaves under threat of a beating, and behaves even better when it fears a new mouse will replace it. I am glad I am not in Norway or US, where they put Indian adults in jail for disciplining their own children. I am afraid the PETA activists might read this post and start a demonstration in front of my house tomorrow, for showing cruelty to an animal (even if it is hardware). :-)

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क