Friday, July 26, 2013

Stealing Faculty

"Did you receive my letter?" the fill in Boss asked me.
"No" I said.
"OK. I won't tell you now. Get disturbed when you get it." I got it any way.
"Um... I don;t think I will get disturbed. There is no point in it. I just want to do my job and go home" I said. Getting disturbed means having emotional attachment. I stopped having that when I realized the administrators don't care.
I got disturbed anyway. The letter was waiting for me in the department's office. Boss' Boss had sent an order temporarily shifting three of our Assistant Professors to two other civic medical college hospitals until further notice. My entire faculty was upset. Heads of Obstetrics and Gynecology departments of those two hospitals had been asking for our Assistant Professors for a long time, but we had refused because that was not civic procedure and we needed them for our recognition as teaching institute.
"This is autocratic" one person said.
"Will these two hospitals, both tertiary level centers, stop transferring patients to our institute now?" someone wondered.
"But one hospital has three qualified senior residents in each unit. An Assistant Professor just sits around" a third person said.
"And the other one has no patients. The faculty arrive at noon and go away no later than 2 P.M." another one piped.
"Many of the first hospital faculty arrive at noon or later. Don't you remember the Professor drawing salary from us but managing to get posted to work at that hospital used to take the entire unit for lunch followed by first show in cinema theaters in office hours?"
I remembered that one very vividly. She had managed to get that posting allegedly through Boss' Boss that time. There had been newspaper stories on that episode.
A couple of days later we had occasion to get even more upset. We heard from multiple sources that the Assistant Professors who had feigned shock at such transfer had themselves applied for the transfer.  There had been no apparent reason for wanting to go away. Two of them had been our own students.Not only had they done this without telling us, but had put their parent institute at risk of losing recognition by the medical council and health university.
'Ungrateful lot" someone said.
"What are we going to do about it?" someone asked.
"Nothing will reverse it" I said. "If our institute loses recognition because of this, we may have to  start looking for new jobs. You may be proactive and start doing that now."

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क