Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Trust ...What Is That?

I always trusted people. I trusted people or organizations with high ranking in society even more. I had not expected the following things to happen to me..
Episode 1
A reputable publishing house asked me to write a chapter for their book 'TeLinde's Operative Gynecology'.. I am quoting directly from their communication.
22-5-2009

….we would be delighted if you could spare a little time and add some fresh material to make the book more useful particularly for our South Asian readership……Purely for the sake of clarity, I would like to specify that you shall get authorship credit for the new material within the book. We shall also be happy to pay a one-time honorarium of Rs.10000.00 as a token of our appreciation.

Publishing Director.

Wolters Kluwer (Health) Pvt Ltd
It was a reputable book and it was an honor to contribute to it. So I accepted. I sent them the chapter on 21-6-2009. Months passed. Then years passed. My emails went unanswered. Finally I was able to get in touch with the person concerned. It appeared he could not do it because the parent company in US had not approved of his proposal. He promised the would send the honorarium anyway. It never arrived, nor is the chapter published in the book.
_____________________________________________________
Episode 2
The other story is about a chapter in another book. The communication was as follows.


It is our pleasure to announce that the Federation of Obstetric and Gynecological Societies of India (FOGSI) will be releasing the Textbooks of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Family Welfare in 2012. We would like to invite you to be one of the authors for these textbooks…… FOGSI appreciates your time, patience and efforts in contributing to the textbook. As a token of appreciation, a remuneration of Rs. 4000 (Rupees Four Thousand Only) will be made on receipt of the entire submission (text, power point presentation, multiple choice questions, short and long questions). ….Please send a reply confirming your willingness to contribute as an author by 20 February 2012 ….The submission is expected to reach us by 15 April 2012.
I accepted and sent the chapter on 15-3-12. A communication after a few months revealed there were some technical issues which had delayed the project. When the material sent became 1.5 years old and hence out of date, I wrote to the person concerned, and voiced various concerns. There was no answer. A reminder sent after a couple of weeks went unanswered too. I have understood there will be no answer. The money promised has not been sent to me too.
_____________________________________________________
That neither party paid the money promised is not so important to me as the fact that it was they who had approached me for a favor, got from me what they wanted, and did not honor their promises. Their behavior reminds me of people who avoid their creditors when they are unable to pay up. What hurts is that these people do not understand that if they violate trust so blatantly, people will not trust anyone.What hurts even more is that one of them was our student once. Now I don't know whom I can trust - or if I can trust anyone at all.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क