Friday, October 4, 2013

Gloves Over Gloves

A large majority of doctors in my department wear two pairs of gloves during an operation. I had a general idea why they did so. But these are times of precision. So I asked people who worked in the OTs their reasons for doing so. I had to use intermediaries in case of residents for fear of not getting their true answers if I asked the question myself. Some of the answers were educative and entertaining at the same time. They were as follows.
  1. Hospital supply of gloves is such that one or both the gloves tear during use. When that happens, there is another one under it. That gives protection to ....(read answers 2 to 4).
  2. When the outer glove tears, the inner glove protects the doctor from catching some disease from the patient's body fluids.
  3. If I wear only one pair and one of the gloves tears, I get electric shock when I use electrocautery. If I have two pairs on, I don't get any shock when the outer glove tears, because the inner one electrically insulates my hand.
  4. When the outer glove tears, the inner glove prevents bacteria from the surgeon's hand entering the operative field.
  5. When the surgeon wears the gloves using a wrong technique, i.e. touching the outer surface of a glove with bare skin, it gets contaminated. Another glove on top of it nullifies the effect of this contamination.
  6. The air conditioner in the OT is so strong! Two gloves keep my hands warm (with the air cushion in between them as insulation?).
  7. After the operation, I remove the outer blood stained gloves and use the clean ones inside to apply dressing to the wound. That keeps the dressing clean.
  8. When I have to get an instrument from the general trolley while assisting an operation and there is no one to give it to me, I remove my outer glove, get the instrument, and then put on the glove again. Thus I do not contaminate the general trolley.
  9. I do it because the senior resident told me to do so.
  10. I heard the Boss hits on the knuckles with a surgical instrument if the resident goofs up while assisting him perform an operation. Two gloves would reduce the trauma. (Would knuckle pads be more useful?)
If you wear two pairs of gloves and have any reason other than those listed here, please write to me. I will update this post with the newer answers.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क