Saturday, May 17, 2014

DDoS Attack via Facebook?

I had a suspicion that something was amiss. Getting Google bot, Bing bot, and Facebook bot visits to a website or blog is routine. That is how they index various web pages for search by users. I knew Google and Bing would visit my blog and index it. But when I started getting Facebook visiting my blog from four servers at the same instant, I knew it was abnormal. I thought it was something Facebook was doing as a rival search engine, to surge ahead of Google. I wrote about it on my blog on 18th February 2014.
Now I am not so sure. When I got seven hits from Facebook servers in different locations, all at the same instant, I knew something was amiss. Here is a screenshot of Statcounter showing these hits.

I think this is a 'Distributed denial-of-service (DDoS)' attack. It is a method of suddenly causing such a large traffic to a website that it crashes. Someone is using Facebook to do this, though I cannot think of any reason why anyone would to do it to a blog of a Gynecologist and a Professor in a medical college. Those of you who think this is all bullxxxx may read the article at the following address, which I found on Google search.
Article
I only hope it is not DDoS and it is just Facebook in overdrive to function better as a search engine. How it can achieve that by sending seven hits from different servers at the same time is beyond my comprehension. I request anyone of my readers who has the technical knowledge to kindly write to me.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क