Monday, August 25, 2014

Installation of Remote Switch

We have a number of fans in our house. None of them is with a remote switch, because I had not known we could get those. But sometimes one needs to put the fan on or off (depending on the weather) in the middle of the night. It is a pain to get up to do so, and it is also risky, because when one goes out of the mosquito net, mosquitoes go into it. Then they have a field day (or night?) until morning, unless one gets up, puts on the lights and kills them in the net. So we decided to put a remote switch on the fan in the bedroom. I asked in all the electrical stores near our house, and they all said it did not exist. I had given up hope, until I got an ad in my inbox. It was people who felt too lazy to get up and switch electrical appliances on or off. I promptly bought one. Unfortunately it had no instructions on its installation. I checked the net, and found a video on Youtube, It was for the same model as the one I had bought. But it did not explain how to do it clearly. The fellow would have done well if he had shown a circuit diagram. I consulted the electricians whose wives and daughters I had been treating all these years.They explained the principles to me. They even offered to do it for me, which I declined. I said I wanted to feel good by doing it myself. I thought it was a piece of cake to do it. Well, it was not.
I got home. The Youtube fellow had stressed that the first step was to switch off the main electric supply so that one would not get electrocuted. I did that. It was quite easy. Then I opened the board with all those sockets and switches. The trouble started there. It looked so much different from what they had described. Wires went everywhere. There was not much of a color code. I had to study the contents far longer than I study the inside of a patient's abdomen during a laparotomy. I was sweating, but could not switch on the fan because the electric current was switched off. Finally I worked out the connections, and worked out a plan, which I want to document here, so that anyone else who wants to do it himself/herself but has no training of doing so can do it. The principles of the procedure are as follows.
(For amateurs only)


  1. The second one (the first one is switching off the current, remember?) is to draw a clear diagram of how the connections are. This is important because if what one does in there does not work out, one should be able to undo the damage and go back to the initial state.
  2. The third one is to draw a diagram of how one wants the connections. I have shown the two diagrams above, 'A' being the starting position, and 'B' being the end position desired.
  3. The fourth one is to disconnect the wire ends that have to be disconnected.
  4. The last one is to connect the ends as per one's circuit diagram, seal the joints with duct tape, put the lid back on the box, switch on the electric current and test your work.
(Note: it is better to have someone around who knows how to administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation and call the fire department in case things go horribly wrong. They probably won't if one follows all steps correctly. :-) Ah! Nothing happens if you switch off the mains before starting, and if you have a tripper for when you try out what you have done.)
The remote switch has two sets of wires coming out. One is for giving it electric supply from the mains, and complete the circuit by joining it to the neutral of the mains. The other set is for running appliances. I have shown only one such wire, but my device has three such wires, which means I can run three devices using that switch. The steps are as follows.
  1. As shown in the diagram, one disconnects the wire between the switch of the fan and its regulator.
  2. The wire for supplying electric current to the remote switch is connected to the empty place on the switch.
  3. The wire of the remote switch for connecting to a device (a fan in our case) is connected to the now free end of the input wire of the regulator.
  4. The wire of the remote switch for connecting to neutral is connected to the neutral wire of the mains.
  5. I am not clear about the function of the antenna (marked as A in diagram 'B'). I suggest leaving it out where the remote control can sense it, in case that is its purpose.
It works like a charm.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क