Saturday, October 4, 2014

City Bus Mischief

The city transport service has employees of all sorts. Some are good people, some are not. Well, I don't blame the city transport service for that. Don't we have the same situation in every job and profession?
The bad sorts come in all types and flavors. There was that conductor today who did not stop the driver who had taken off from a bus stop without the signal from the conductor. Small children were getting down, ready to go for their school exam. Their only fault was that they were exiting from the back door of the bus, not the front one near the driver. He even encouraged them to get off the bus while it was in motion. After some time, when the bus was well away from the stop and the school, he stopped the bus and made them get down. The poor frightened children got down, and walked in the sweltering heat at 1:00 P.M. to the school. I could have got his badge number and complained to the city service administrators, but I knew nothing came of it, other than perhaps the employees beating up the complainant.
The bad sort exist even in the bus workshop too, I suppose. They fix the seats, hand grips, windows and stuff that need fixing. That day I was commuting to work on a city bus. It was hot and humid. People were sweating. I got a seat near a window, which was closed. I tried to open it and found that it had no stopper. There was no way it could be pushed up. I started feeling very warm and suffocated. I should have had second thoughts about selling off my car and opting for public transport to conserve national oil resources. But I was too uncomfortable to have any thoughts other than those on somehow opening that window. I looked carefully and found that the stopper was fitted on the outside of the window while the other window stoppers were on the inside. I have shown a 3D view of the same in the image below. The top part shows the view from the inside of the bus, and the bottom part shows as it would be seen from the outside. The first window on the right side of the top part of the image (which happens to be the front end of the bus) is the one with the wrongly fitted stopper.

The guy at the workshop probably hated commuters, most of whom made much more money than he did. Perhaps he had other reasons to hate people. So he must have fitted the stopper on the outside, so that the commuters would not be able to open the window from the inside of the bus. The other possibility was that he was plain dumb, though I do not think anyone would tolerate a dumb worker for long. What he had not considered was that some of the commuters would be smarter than him too. I put my hand out of the window in front of the closed one, released the catch of the stopper from outside the window and pushed it open. I was used to troubleshooting so many things that went wrong in the civic hospital, that this was a child's play for me.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क