Sunday, March 1, 2015

Death Throes or Poltergeist Activity?

It affected our music system first. It was a quite expensive system manufactured by Panasonic. It worked well while it worked. Then one day it started putting out its CD tray like one puts out one's tongue for fun as a child, or as an adult if asked to do so by the doctor. Since the tray would be out, there would be no music. I opened the system and cleaned all dust inside, which was very little any way. It did not work. Then it started  running through all its menus in succession, which I could read in the display window. The only menu command it did not go through was the play command. Finally I pushed the tray inside with more than reasonable force and switched off the power supply, so that it would not put out the tray again. It does all of this every time I put it on to see if it is cured. I did not try to get it repaired, because it was easier to buy a new one. I did that and the new one is working fine.

Then my Amazon Kindle showed this activity. First its screen went all white, like deathly pallor. I charged it for almost two days, as was suggested by someone on a forum on the internet. Then its charging light and finally its screen came on. It started working. I switched it off and continued to do what I was doing when it displayed full function. Suddenly I noticed that it had switched itself on. This was something new. While I watched it, it started cycling through all of its screen savers. Then it started booting repeatedly. Finally it froze in early booting screen (with the picture of the tree it has, and a progress bar 1/10 filled below the tree). It has been like this ever since. Since Amazon does not repair Kindle, I opened it myself, and closed it when I found that there was no dust inside to clean, and no user serviceable parts that I could repair. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, which is functioning OK.

I have not understood what happened with these electronic gadgets. Do all electronic devices get death throes like this, or is it Poltergeist activity, as was described in Harry Potter books by Ms. Rowling? Since I do not understand either of them, I am willing to believe both explanations, or even a third explanation, if there is one.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क