Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Adjusting Architectural Principles

My hospital is in a heritage building, and they require heritage architects and heritage civil contractors to repair and renovate it. Must be advanced and high quality work. It had so happened that the operation theater had started leaking water freely into my operation theater through its floor; because the scrub area had been build right in the center of the theater rather than along the outside walls where the water supply and drainage pipes were located. One cannot build bathrooms, toilets and scrub areas except at prior designated areas, in any building including heritage building. My theater had to close down for more than two months because of that leak. They couldn’t fix it because they would have to open up the floor to find the leak. They promised to do it during the repair work of the building. Now the work has been going on for about four months. I asked for the architect’s plan again and again received it finally. I noticed that still shows the scrub area right above my theater where it was before. I rang up the architect and explained what he had done wrong. “That was the original location of the scrub area” he said. “But it needs correction. We cannot let it be only because it was like that in the past” I said. He had corrected so many wrong things in the building, he had claimed before. “But they have three theaters and they will lose one if we move the scrub area” he said. “If there is a leak after the work is done, the floor has to be dug up to repair it. Besides that, my theater work will stop too” I said. “We are trying to put the pipes in the walls and not the floor” he said. “Then the walls have to be opened by removing the marble. That is expensive” I said. “It won’t leak for 7 to 8 years” he said. “That is quite a short period. Actually I will retire in five and a half years. SO it won’t leak while I am here. But I cannot let it be as a head of my department. I have to think of the future” I said. “But you signed the plan” he said. “I signed the plan only for my part of the building. I have no authority to approve the plan for some other department. Besides, you refuse to put even a wash-basin in any room if there is no drainage pipe outside it in the original plan. Here you are putting a scrub area right in the middle of the building where it has no business to be” I said. It was a pity that I had to explain architectural principles to an architect who was charging the corporation in millions for doing his work. “I suggest you communicate with the Director. He will arrange a meeting” he said. I wrote to the Director. I hope the error is corrected while there is still an opportunity to do so.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क