Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fund Raising For Medical Students

A couple of second-year students approached me yesterday. They gave an invitation for the annual cultural program. The studentrs have this program in which there are skits, dramas, musicals, competions, debates etc. There are funds reserved from the budget, which perhaps do not seem sufficient to them. So they asked me, “Sir, do you have any contacts in the pharmaceutical industry, who could give us some money for this program?” I was taken aback. Obviously they had been told to do this either by senior students who had been doing this before, or by their advisors. “There are guidelines of Medical Council of India on not accepting money or gifts like junkets from pharmaceuticals, because it is lileky to influence the prescription habits of doctors and is an unethical marketing practice. You are perhaps being initiated into this unhealthy practice quite early, actually even before you qualify as doctors. Then you will perhaps not think it is wrong to accept such things from pharmaceuticals when you start medical practice.” I thought they would take the advice and go away. But they were persistent. “Sir, in that case will your department contribute any funds for this program?” I give money to my son when he needs it. I did not know why they could not ask their parents. Students had asked us for money in past for such programs, and to support residents' strikes during which a lot of patients suffered from inadequate healthcare, and we suffered because we had to do our work as well as that of the resident doctors. I had resented that, and I still resent it. “Why do you want to blow other people's money on your enjoyment?” I asked. “It is always other people's money that is blown on enjoyment in public functions,” said one of our staff members who happened to be there. “Why don't you ask your parents for money?” I asked. “I know you all are quite rich. What does your father do?” I asked one of them. “He has a restaurant”. “What does your father do?” I asked the other student. “He is a businessman”. “Well, they have loads of money. I request you not to ask staff members for money. I may not have been very pleasant in this discussion, but it was to change your attitudes for better, believe me” I said. They went away after that. I hope I did change their attitudes for better.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क