Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vacation Arrangements To Water Plants

We were going to be away for about 7 days. We have 15 potted plants in our terrace garden. it would have been great to have a sprinkling system to run at predetermined time every day to water the plants. Unfortunately we don't have one, and I would not develop one only for once a year. So I devised a system that works on capillary action. I placed a big bucket full of water on a table. Then I placed all the potted plants around the table. Then I ran a long piece of string (made by braiding of multiple threads)from the bottom of the bucket to each pot. The idea was to let water pass along the strings from the bucket to the soil in the pots by capillary action until we returned home. I covered the top of the bucket with a plastic sheet to prevent loss of water by evaporation. That was important because no fresh water would be added to the bucket while we were away and that water had to last for 7 days. When we returned 7 days later, the plants were as alive and fresh as when we left. The strings were wet, and the bucket was only 20% empty. I think is beats a computerized water sprinkling system any day.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क