Friday, February 25, 2011

Relaxation therapy

"Sir, this patient came with preterm labor. We treated her with nifedipine to control it and betamethasone to enhance maturation of fetal lungs. Now she is relaxed." I wondered how the woman relaxed with these drugs. Probably the Registrar meant the uterus was relaxed or that the preterm labor was controlled. All the residents in my department were in that habit. The patient's problem seemed to be solved. So I continued with our ward round without asking any question. After seeing two more patients, we had another patient with a similar outcome. "Sir, this patient came with preterm labor. We treated her with nifedipine to control it and betamethasone to enhance maturation of fetal lungs. Now she is relaxed" the Registrar said. "Is the preterm labor controlled?" I asked. "Yes" she said, with a look on her face which seemed to say 'that is what I just said'. "Good. You must be very good in relieving stress of people. Two women treated by you have relaxed so well. I think I should ask for your help when I am stressed. I want to relax like these two women." She kept quiet. "What did you give them which relaxed them?" I asked. "I might take the same medication for relaxation." She kept quiet. "Nifedipine! I recall you treated them with Nifedipine. No. I cannot take it for relaxation" I said. She still kept quiet. "Next time say that the uterus is relaxed, not the woman. The woman may relax too because the uterus is relaxed, but we are more interested in the uterine relaxation" I said. "Yes sir" she said.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क