Thursday, April 21, 2011

Old Scanner

I have a computer scanner that is not supported by versions of Windows beyond Windows 98. When I installed Windows XP, I tried to use this scanner, but a driver to run it could not be found on its software disc, nor on the net. I kept it in the cupboard. When Windows Vista came along, I tried to run it on that OS, but it would not work. I hoped against hope that Windows 7 would support it, but it did not too. People advised me to throw it away and get another one. Well, I had already got another one when Windows XP would not run it. But I could not get myself to throw it away. Then suddenly I had an idea. I installed a virtual machine on the PC with Windows Vista as the OS. Then I installed Windows 98 in that virtual machine. Then I connected the scanner to the PC while in the Windows 98 environment and installed the drivers for the scanner. I was happy to find that the scanner worked like the purring engine of a Merc, even better than my newer scanner. I think 'innovate and keep' is a more satisfying strategy than the 'use and throw' strategy.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क