Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tripod Jinx

I had a tripod once, which had belonged to my father. He had been deeply interested in photography. But my brother took it away before I got into medicine, and long before I started doing medical photography. All my medical videos are done with a handycam, and the field keeps moving sometimes quite annoyingly. I have been planning to buy a tripod, but never got around to do it. The readers will recall the story when our clerk-cum-typist asked for a loan of ‘camera for a tripod’ from the Artist department of the hospital, when I had actually asked for ‘tripod for a camera’. They were reluctant to loan it, and the boss had finally consented, provided only I would handle it. That had made me wonder. Handling a tripod was no great thing that only the head of the department could do. Finally it dawned on me that there was a goof-up. I clarified that I needed a tripod and not a camera. Then they were all smiles. But I decided then and there to buy one of our own. So I went to the leading shop in the market that evening and asked for a quotation. “It will cost Rs. 2900/- and better one will cost Rs. 4500/-“ the shopkeeper said. The prices were higher than reasonable. So I went to the neighboring shop and asked the prices. “Rs, 1100/- for the standard one and Rs. 2600/- for the better one” the salesman said. “Please give me a quotation. My hospital will buy it” I said. “But we cannot give a quotation for the Rs. 1100/- tripod. It is the one we sell without receipt” whispered another salesman in my salesman’s ear. I heard it anyway. “Please meet the boss for a quotation” the salesman said, suddenly adopting an evasive maneuver. The boss was even more evasive. He kept chatting with a visitor rather than attend to me. Finally he asked the salesman to show me high-end tripods, rather than the ones he had shown me. “I am content with these” I said. “My handicam does not require a heavy tripod.” “No, no” the boss said. “Nothing but the best for a costly thing like a handicam. Give him a quotation for the tripods.” Salesman number one disappeared into the inner room to make a quotation. He appeared after some time and asked for detailed name and address of my hospital. Then he disappeared again and would not come out. After 20 minutes of waiting I told the other guy to cancel the request for quotation, and left. He appeared quite relieved. They seemd to have a thriving business of non-receipt sales – smuggled goods perhaps? While I was waiting, he had shown a couple of cameras costing Rs. 32000/- and 29000/- to a buyer, saying ‘no receipt’ firmly when asked about it. Finally I reached the third store in that area. It was somewhat crowded. I waited. When the elderly salesman who was looking quite harassed asked me what I wanted, I told him I wanted a tripod. He turned to the showcases behind him, thought awhile, and was finally distracted by a disgruntled customer. After dealing with him, he just stood there breathing deeply, probably to relieve stress. I kept waiting patiently, looking at him steadily. He came to after some time, found me waiting, and asked, “What was it you wanted?” “I don’t know” I heard myself say in a wondering sort of voice. “It has been so long that I have now forgotten what it was that I wanted.” He looked starteled. Then he searched my face for guile, probably found none, and smiled. “I want a tripod” I said. “We have only this” he said and produced a baby tripod. If I mounted my handycam on it and shot operation videos, I would be recording the underside of the OT table, and drawing suspicious stares from people in the operation theater. “I am afraid I need something taller” I said. “Thanks.” My purchase of a tripod seems to be jinxed. I am waiting until an inner voice tells me ‘it is all clear, go ahead and buy one’.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क