Monday, September 17, 2012

Almost Killer Girls

I wonder if anything is turning the young girls violent. It is a trend to blame violent computer games for violent attitudes of young boys these days. But I know for a fact that the girls do not play these games. It must be something else.
I was conducting prelims for the undergraduate exam going students. The I asked the same questions to all candidates I examined, and the answers left much to be desired. One girl was particularly less well prepared than others.
“Are you related to xxx or yyy?” I asked. These two persons with the same surname as hers were known to me and I could talk to them about getting her to study more, if they were related.
“No” she said briefly.
“From where have you come?” I asked her.
“U.P.” she said.
“So you must have studied well and scored well in the All India Entrance Test and come to this premier institute.”
“Yes” she said.
“If you could study well then, why are not studying now?” I asked in a mild voice.
“.......” she probably had no answer or did not think the question worthy of an answer.
“What will you do after M.B.B.S.?” I asked, knowing well that everyone passed that exam some time or other, usually at the first attempt.
“Postgraduation” she said in a tone that suggested that it was a ridiculous question.
“In which subject?” I asked.
“Pediatrics” she said. She seemed pretty confident she would get it, no matter how poor her preparation was.
“Good.” I said. “Do not choose obstetrics and gynecology. You will do better in other subjects.”
She got up and went away, shooting me a glance that was much more than dark, venomous or whatever adjective that you can think of. If she had laser power in her eyes, she would have drilled a hole right in the middle of my forehead, going through and through to exit through the occipital bone.
The next day I was conducting an interview for selection of Assistant Professors. I asked one candidate about obstetric forceps after she had answered other questions. I have written about her before. She was a good candidate, one of the other experts had vouched after the interview.
“What is correct axis of application of obstetric forceps?” I asked.
She started with a long description. I stopped her. “Just tell me the axis of application” I said.
“It is applied over the parietal bones” she said, in a tone that suggested my question had really no answer, that this was the nearest she could offer as an answer.
“That is almost the entire vault of the skull” I said. “That cannot be the axis. All right. You can go.”
She got up and shot me a glance before going away. The glance was an exact replica of the one I had received the day before.
I have spent 32 years as a teacher. I have always praised good students. I have criticized bad ones in a positive way, so that they would try and improve. None of them have looked at me with looks that could kill, if looks were guns. Now two girls had done that on two consecutive days. I have been wondering what makes them so these days. To be unable to take justified criticism and not wanting to improve is not the hallmark of a physician at any stage of his or her life, definitely not at the beginning. I wonder if it is praise and praise alone at all times, justified or not, that makes them so? I wonder if the time has come for me to stop offering any correction or criticism, though I know I have to do it as a teacher.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क