Thursday, September 27, 2012

Self Punishment

“Sir, I have to tell you something” the sister-in-charge of the antenatal ward said apologetically when I was taking a round of the ward.
“What is it?” I asked. She was not one to complain needlessly.
“Look at this” she said. I looked. There was a trolley, on which there was a used syringe with needle attached to it and blood inside it. The cover of the syringe and a couple of blood-stained swabs were there too. A vial lay on its side. There was blood all over the floor and also on the mattress of the adjacent cot.
“Who has done this?” I asked. It was very much against safe practices.
“The unit which had outpatient clinic yesterday” she said. Luckily the doctors of that unit were also in the ward taking ward round. I called them and advised their Associate Professor to find out who it was and take some constructive disciplinary action against the person. I proceeded to see other patients in other wards. When I went back to that ward, the culprit had been found.
“Sir, this is the House Officer who made a mess during her blood collections” the Associate Professor said. “I have asked her to explain all the information on safe practices for infection control and biohazardous waste disposal to the other resident doctors in the unit. That will be her punishment.”
“OK” I said, and looked at the guilty one. She was an embarrassed looking girl, tired after emergency duty the previous day, and scared too. I looked at her apron. Usually they have blood on it. Hers was not very clean, but it would not be after 24 hours in the emergency ward. But there was no blood on it.
“Show me your hands” I said, and demonstrated how by holding my hands forward, palms down. She complied. There was little tremor in the fingers, but no blood on them.
“Turn them around” I said, and showed how by turning my palms up. She copied my movement. There was a 2 mm diameter solid-looking dark red spot on her right palm.
“What is that?” I asked, pointing at it. It looked like blood to me. She wiped it with fingers of her other hand, but it did not go away. Her colleague tried to help by wiping it away, but she would not let her do it. She scraped it away with her nail. It came off. It was a small blood clot, and it was someone else's blood, as her skin underneath was intact.
“It is a patient's blood” I said. “We do not have to punish her in any way. She does not wear gloves while collecting blood, and does not wash her contaminated hands. If we just let her be herself, she will punish herself in due course.”
I did not say 'by infecting herself', but I could see from her facial expressions that she had understood. It was a new but effective way of educating those who do not get educated by the conventional means.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क