Friday, April 26, 2013

Tribute to Victor Bonney

Victor Bonney was truly a genius. His contributions to gynecology are not just numerous, but brilliant. His myoma screw, myomectomy clamp, hood operation for removal of a posterior wall leiomyoma, round ligament forceps, cervical dilator, test to diagnose urinary stress incontinence, record number of myomas (225) removed from a single uterus, method of vault suspension after a vaginal hysterectomy, Berkley-Bonney forceps, and his book on operative gynecology are a few of those contributions. I loved his book 'Operative Gynecology' as a student and have not stopped loving it for 30 more years.
It broke my heart when I looked at the current edition of the book, edited by some people. They have retained some of the original drawings (all of which were wonderful), removed most of the text including many of Bonney's original contributions, and not added much to make it up to date anyway. Perhaps it may appeal to someone who has not read the original book, and to the fan club of current editors (if there is a fan club), but not to those who loved the original. I don't know what Bonney will do if he gets to see the current edition in his grave. I hope that does not happen.
"I saw new edition of Bonney's book, edited by other people. Don't let my publishers take out new editions of my books after I pass away" I told my wife. "No. I am not thinking of passing away soon" I said hurriedly when I saw her troubled brow. "Just making things clear. When they feel the old editions will not do, let the books die rather than get someone to revise them. I am not a fraction as great as Bonney, but I feel about my books as Bonney must have felt about his own book."
Just to somehow make Bonney feel good, in case he can see it, I made a 3D model of his myomectomy clamp, and put it up on the net. At the risk of appearing a sentimental old man, I want to say:

'Sir, making it was tough. I dedicate to you all the efforts that I put in its making. I learned a lot from your book, taught a lot of students what you taught me through your book, and I hope people will see this model and remember the great things that have been removed from your own book.'

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क