Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Amnioinfusion: New Concept

The credit for this post goes to an undergrad student. I was taking the prelim exam. At this time, the undergrad students are supposed to be all ready with their preparations for the final exam. They are given this exam for practice of the real thing that decides their future. There was this student who was presenting a case of oligohydramnios. He managed to convince me that his diagnosis was accurate.
"How will you treat her now?" I asked.
"I will treat her with amnioinfusion" he said after beating around the bush for some time.
"How will you perform an amnioinfusion?" I asked instead of saying 'great, you have done well'. I do that because it is my experience that a lot of people say the right word, but do not know more than that word in that context.
"I will infuse amniotic fluid" he answered.
"Where will you get amniotic fluid to infuse into this patient?" I asked trying not to show incredulity in my voice or on my face. I must have managed that well, because he went on to answer that one without any change in his expression.
"A preparation is available outside" he said.
"Huh? Who markets it?" I asked.
"I don't know who markets it" he said. I wondered if there was a hint in his voice to suggest that I should stick to academic questions and not ask questions about commercially available preparations.
"Is there a commercially available preparation of amniotic fluid for amnioinfusion?" I asked my Assistant Professor standing nearby with as straight a face as possible. "This student wants to use one for his patient of oligohydramnios." His MD dissertation had been on amnioinfusion. He looked at me for a second and grinned all over his face.
I could not spend any time educating that student because there were a lot of students left to be examined and time was short. I hope he reads on the topic before he appears for his final examination.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क