Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ants and Cardio



Ants are industrious creatures. They toil from sunup to sundown, and perhaps afterwards too, but I usually sleep at night and don’t notice what they do. I thought they would never do anything other than work, with the exception of the queen, who has other things on its mind. So what happened in my house surprised me no end.
All was well, until one day I found ants running along one of the walls of the second bedroom. There were so many of them. They were going in both directions. This was a cause for concern. They were probably raiding the larder. So I followed them. They went under the door into the hall. At the end of the wall, they turned along the adjacent wall, and again when they reached its end. Here they climbed up to reach the ceiling, turned through 90 degrees to reach the third wall. They reached the fluorescent tube light. There the line stayed a while and turned back to retrace its route. I traced it the other way. It reached the second bedroom, and finally climbed up the cot. It stopped at a nonspecific spot and turned back again. All the ants kept doing this. They were still doing it when I reached home after a day’s work. None carried any food. There was no place to sleep. There was no water source to take a drink. I have shown their route in the following picture.

“What do you think they are doing?” I asked my wife, after explaining all this to her.
“God knows. Perhaps they expect to find the larder en route” she said. “Let us get rid of them, or they might find the larder eventually.”
So I got rid of them. I think getting rid of ants is legal, and no PETA activists should be at my doorstep protesting.
The next day a new batch of them was at it again, this time visiting the remaining rooms. The route is as shown below. Even this time there was no connection to their colony. They were like gypsies, on the go at all times.

I got rid of the whole lot the second time. A week later they repeated the feat, along different walls in the same rooms. I got rid of them too. They have not returned to do something like this since then.
“I don’t think they were looking for food” I told my wife. “That is done by scouts which move randomly here and there. This was organized march.”
“So what is your explanation?” she asked me.
“I think they were doing brisk walk as a cardio” I said. She gave me a look and went back to whatever she was doing.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क