Friday, February 28, 2014

Ants: Swimming

My last post was about cardio by ants. My wife did not believe it was cardio, and I don't know how many of my readers believed it. I don't know if I should believe it myself. But ants around my house are weird. Not only do they march for nothing, but they also swim. Now it is one thing to swim for one's life. It is altogether a different thing when one does it for fun, or as an exercise. If an ant falls in water or is thrown in water, it will swim until it reaches a dry surface again. We have ants which sometimes enter the water that we store for drinking (forcing us to throw it away). They enter it in a large number, and keep swimming on the surface. They often hold onto one another, probably to form a raft and support one another. If any of them break away, they soon find their way back to the swimming group. The only two reasons for this activity I can imagine are to exercise themselves or to have fun. It cannot be that they go there to have a drink and then fall in accidentally. There is plenty of water to drink at the place they come from - the potted plants, which we water regularly. I have not explained this theory to my wife, because I am sure she will give me another look like she did when I told her about their cardio.
If you want to see how they swim, check out the video at the following link.
Swimming Ants

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क