Thursday, July 10, 2014

So Predictable

When the Boss goes away for whatever period, someone else is appointed as Boss-in-charge, whom we shall call Bic for convenience. The Boss' position is so coveted by people who hunger for power, that the first thing they want to do when they sit in the Boss' chair is to let others of importance know that they (the Bics) are more important than the others. And what better method to achieve this than by summoning someone to the Boss' chamber, making that person stand there while the Bic sits in that stuffed chair, and telling that person a thing or two? In past the Bosses were perhaps more balanced or more mature, and so were the Bics. I do not recall this phenomenon from the past. But times change.
The first time I encountered this was a few years ago. The Boss had sent out a circular, asking all faculty to submit their self assessment forms before a certain date. On the last day of that submission, all my staff members but one had submitted theirs. This one didn't, wouldn't, probably couldn't (reasons not known). I asked that person to submit that in an hour's time, which was in my opinion more than sufficient time to fill up that form. Instead of doing that, this person went to meet someone, who in turn spoke to the Bic of that day. I got a call from that Bic.
"There is a very serious complaint from one of your faculty. Come to my office now" the Bic said.
It was 12:30 P.M. It was a very hot day. I had a lot of work to wind up before the summer vacation began the next day. But Bic had Boss' power for that day. So I went. The Bic could not or would not explain to me why it was a serious matter, though it was a time-bound activity as decided by the Boss. I agreed to let that person fill up her/his self assessment form whenever she/he wanted because the Bic directed me to do so, and left. I could not see then why this could not have been said on phone, instead of dragging a department head to the Boss' office on that hot, uncomfortable day. Now I understand it was to show off one's power by demeaning others.
This Bic went on to become a sort of very prolonged Bic after a few years. Now when this prolonged Bic went on leave, they appointed another person as Bic. They had asked me, because I was the most senior person. I refused politely, saying I did not like it. One day I needed to ask the Boss something, and discovered there was a Bic in position. So I called on phone.
"Why talk on phone?" the Bic said with great satisfaction. "Come right over." The Bic made it sound like it was an invitation to dinner, while it was actually a walk to the other end of the campus leaving all work.
"I am sorry I cannot" I said. "I am stuck in the OT. I just need a point clarified." The Bic clarified that he/she did not know the answer and recommended I should ask the Boss when the Boss resumed duty.
Another time there was an important appointment that was not kept by a person. The work had to be done in my office, on my PC, under my guidance. This person had sent no word that he/she could not keep the appointment. I called and found out that this person was Bic that day. So I called Boss' office and spoke to that person. I asked when we could finish that job.
"Come right over" said this person. Being Bic had made this person forget that I was in charge of that job, not him/her.
"Uh ... I cannot get the whole desktop computer to the Boss' office" I said. "We have to look at the document I have made and make changes as required."
"Bring a printout" the Bic suggested with great satisfaction. Being Bic must give one a giddy feeling, I thought.
"I think we better do that in my office after you stop being Bic" I said. "I don't have time to make corrections on a printout and then make the changes on a computer, that too in Marathi."
"OK" the Bic said with some reluctance.
Now with age and maturity, I understand that people who become Bic think it is not about governance, but about feeling good by making contemporaries feel inferior, and in general having a good time by basking in the feeling of superiority, even if it is just for a day or two.
The Bics have become predictable.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क