Friday, November 21, 2014

Educational Resistance Movement

It is a new movement. You won't find it on a Google search or any other search.
I had thought students wanted education. After all, that's what students become students for. Well, a number of students apparently do not seem to think so. They probably just want to get a degree, so that they can make a lot of money to live happily ever after.
I may sound harsh when I say so. Well, I am upset at what happened. That should explain my harshness.
It was my observation that resident doctors did not read much (lack of time? Lack of energy? Lack of motivation?). When thinking about it, I had a novel idea. We publish about 10 interesting case reports every month in our journal JPGO. These articles are written well, after a good amount of research by the authors. Residents did not get to see such cases, not in any one unit they work in. They did not read the journal (lack of time? Lack of energy? Lack of motivation?). So I thought I should make them read it, which would enrich their experience and make them better doctors. I decided to put multiple choice questions at the end of each issue, based on the articles published in that issue. I coded a web form and put the questions in it, each with a radio button for each of the four options for each question. I arranged to have the residents type their names and year of residency in that web form. I arranged for a print facility so that they could print the completed answer sheet and submit them to our office. My colleagues liked the idea. We decided to give the reidents internal assessment marks based on their performance in these monthly tests. They could read the articles while then answered. It was to be like an open book examination. The idea was to just make them read.
The outcome for about 10 residents in each unit is shown below.

Unit
Activity
1
All residents answered honestly.
2
Only one resident took the test.
3
Seven of them cheated. They made one answer sheet and everyone copied it.
4
All except one resident cheated. Only one person made answer sheets for all residents in the unit. They submitted their own answer sheets.
5
All residents answered honestly.
6
Only three residents took the test. They were honest.

The cheating was easy to spot. The concerned residents had the same score, and the same answers wrong. The technique of cheating was found out by questioning. The explanation for cheating, after repeated questioning, was "Sorry, Sir. It won't happen again."

I am feeling sort of numb inside.

"Why do you insist on making them learn if they keep finding methods to avoid learning?" I was asked. "You are just making yourself unhappy."
Did I do that because I was stupid, stubborn, or a hopeless dreamer? Definitely not to trouble them, as some of them probably believed.
"I do that because I believe it is my Karma to do that" I said. I was a teacher. Was it not my Karma to teach and make them learn?

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क