Saturday, November 29, 2014

Chronic Adrenaline Rush

My life was quiet and peaceful when I was a kid. I managed to get the top rank in school without too much effort, and I did not feel it was a great achievement. Probably the other kids took is easy much more than I did. Even in premed it was equally peaceful. Then I joined a medical college and I changed without knowing about it. There was so much to learn and it was fun too. Thinking back, I realize it was a high that lasted throughout my graduation and postgraduation. It became a habit. I would not walk peacefully even when there was no urgency. I would hurry to wherever I had to go. If there was anything to do, I would start doing it and be at it like a man possessed until it was done. I joined as a Lecturer and progressed to Professor and Head of Department's position at that same pace. The pressure at work, some of it inevitable from the profession I had chosen, some created by administrators who could have done far better but did not know how, kept the pressure on me. It became a habit that made a slave of me even in my personal life. Even when it was exercising or going for a walk, it was always a part of the hectic schedule, to be rushed through so as to be able to go to the next chore.  Now it is 39 years since I entered a med school, and I don't remember any time when it has been different.
The other day I went out to buy a couple of things. After the first purchase, I went on looking for the other thing I needed. I could not find what I wanted. But it was a day different from the other days. The roads were less crowded. There was less noise, fewer obstacles while walking, a pleasant breeze in place of the usual heat and humidity. Walking was not just an unavoidable unpleasantness, it was refreshing. It was at that moment when I realized what I had been doing. I had been on a chronic continuous adrenaline rush, which would continue until it exhausted me. Then I would rest awhile, let the overworked system recover, and plunge right back in. I suddenly understood the meaning of those forwarded emails which told me to stop to feel the breeze, to smell a rose, to listen to a bird sing, to watch a sunset.
I hope those who read this post don't have to do what I somehow did. I understand it is difficult with the rat race on. I just hope they find a method of finding a few moments to feel the breeze, to smell a rose, to listen to a bird sing, to watch a sunset.without any other thought in those moments.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क