Friday, November 7, 2014

My Virtual Twin

There is a theme used by many Hindi movies. There would be twin babies, and they would get separated in some calamity. Then they would grow up independently, and meet one day as adults. Such movies were there when I was a child, and I suppose they are there even today.
I know no such thing happened with me. But I met someone today, and I thought, 'my God, if I had a twin, she would have been like this.' I had gone to the bank. The teller asked me to wait. She was an elderly woman, thin, fair, and and with good manners. It was not this description that prompted me t think what I said I thought. While I was sitting on an adjacent bench and waiting, she said in voice that carried,
"Krapash.....Krapash ....."
Krapash came on the third call, which was louder than the first two. He was another employee of the bank.
"What?" he asked.
"Phone...." she said.
"For me?" he asked.
"Yes, for you. You think I would call you to take a call that was for me?"
I wanted to laugh out loud, but managed to stop with a grin. 'My, God, she thinks like me, and talks like me too' I thought. I finished my work, came home, and told my wife enthusiastically, "Hey, listen. There is a new teller at the bank. Elderly, thin, fair."
"What about her?" she asked.
"You know which one?" I asked.
"Yes," she said calmly, "she speaks exactly like you."
"You know that too?" I asked.
"Yes" she smiled.
"If I had a twin that got separated when we were babies, she would have been like her" I said.
"I know" she said.
 I remembered a story, which I had told my wife before. When I ask patients 'when did you get your last period or some such clinical question', some of them ask me back,'who, me?' If I am not overworked or stressed, I say 'yes, you'. But if a lot of them do it to me on a single morning session, I point to another woman standing or sitting at the other end of the waiting hall and say, 'not you. I am asking that woman over there'. Then they get the hint and do not ask 'who me' again. I remembered another story. When I get a call while working in my office and the caller actually wants some other person or place, I say 'this is not him or the place. Some of them are insistent. They ask 'then where has the call reached?' I lose my patient then and retort, 'does it matter where it has reached, when it definitely not reached the person you want?'
I know some of you out there want to advise me to take a course in having patience. I am unlikely to do so, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क