Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hey Doc, No Hands

She was from a village in North. She had no education. But she was a woman, she had her own cultural beliefs, she was pregnant, and she was in tabor. She had been seen in the Receiving Room and was admitted in the labor ward, Once she was in, her cultural and any other beliefs took over. When I went to see her to assess her progress in tabor, she flatly refused an internal examination. That was 29 years ago, I did not know what to do. I was the houseman, supposed to manage everything. I had read about court ordered examination and even cesarean sections. But I also knew about the backlog of cases in our courts, and it would probably take 20 to 30 years for getting a court order, i.e. about now. I did not have that kind of time, I did not have even 30 hours. "See, if you won't' get examined, we won't know if you are going to deliver safely?' I said. “I don't want an examination” she said flatly. “But if I don't know what is happening inside you, how do I treat you?" “I don't know that. I will not be examined." I spent quite some time counseling her, but to no avail. The nurse tried her best, but the patient remained adamant. She would not give any reason for her refusal for examination too. Just a flat 'no!’ "If you don't want examination, go to some hospital where you can get treatment without an examination” I said. I would not have sent her away, but was using the threat as a strategic move. "I am not going anywhere” she said. So much for my strategic move! I thought about what to do next and finally decided to protect my self and my hospital at least. "If you won't get examined, write that down on your case paper, and sign it" I said. she kept quiet. She was illiterate, but seemed to have a strong mind. Either she had a well worked out strategy, or it was just one of my bad days. Finally I did what I had to do. I left her alone and went to treat other women who needed me. After all, women were unattended in labor before midwives and obstetricians were created by God. God did deliver her safely, the nurse and I being His instruments in the final process. The baby was 0K. If has taken after its mother in attitude, it should be a successful negotiator.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क