Friday, January 14, 2011

Blood collection technique: the correct components

"Today I found something interesting" one of our professors said. "I found an intern collecting a patient's blood in a novel way." I knew interns were innovative. This would be good. "He was collecting the blood while the patient was standing." Great. Fellow looked dangerous. If the patient fainted at the sight or thought of blood, she could develop a head injury. I could see the medicolegal implications. "He was wearing no gloves." So the fellow was dangerous not only to others, but also to self. I could see him catching HIV, HBV and whatever else that gets transmitted through blood. "He had tied a glove to the patient's arm in place of a tourniquet." This was a new use of a surgical glove. I had seen it used as a glove, a drain, a reducer during laparoscopy (my own innovation), an ice bag, hot water bag, air-filled ball for playing, projectile for throwing into the red bag after use (one has to stretch it and then let go of the two ends in a correct sequence so that it launches itself and hopefully lands in the bucket), to scare people (one kid had once filled one glove with water, tied its opening, and thrust it into the handle of my car before I sold it off for different reasons), to prevent finger prints from going on gun triggers and knives (in crime movies), to dye hair, to polish, to paint walls, and to lift garbage. My readers may have witnessed a few more uses of a surgical glove. "So ultimately he did use gloves for blood collection!" I said.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क