Monday, January 17, 2011

Medical jargon

Every profession has its own jargon. There is actually no need for it. Probably people use it so that others do not come to know what they mean, and thereby their importance is maintained. We had a patient in the hospital once, whose father in law was a lawyer. There was no servant available, and he had to give bed pan to the patient. He complained, stating he had to pass an instrument into his patient. I was horrified that he had passed some solid instrument into the patient. I was wondering into which part he had passed it.The patient had not complained of any such occurrence. Later on another lawyer told me he meant he gave the bed pan. Medical jargon is equally confusing. In first year of my education, I was deeply impressed by Gray's anatomy. So much so that I started saying I had to get down from the exit at the anterior end of a bus. It gradually passed away as I moved on to subsequent period of my education. Just the other day I asked my Registrar how a particular patient in the medical ICU was. "She is all right. She was self extubated yesterday" she said. I was confused. After a couple of seconds I understood what she meant. "Do you mean she pulled out her endotracheal tube herself?" I asked. "Yes, sir" she said. "Then why do you not say so?" I asked. "Because the medical Registrar said so" she said. I knew then how jargon developed in each profession.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क