Friday, January 21, 2011

A new syndrome

"Why are you upset?" a friend asked me. "I am upset because I see a syndrome and I cannot find a cure for it: I said. "A new syndrome? You mean you have actually found a new syndrome yourself?" "Yes. It affects mid-level staff members in surgical branches in civic medical college hospitals." "What is it?" "As you know, the staff members are teachers. They have to teach resident doctors how to perform operations. This teaching involves assisting them when they operate on patients. The syndrome I have found affects these doctors who are going beyond what can be called youth. There are no symptoms. The signs vary. One sign is a decrease in speed when performing the second last major case of the day, so that it ends beyond the time at which the last case can be induced. Then the poor houseman does not get to operate, and the staff member does not end up assisting him and breaking his back and going away late. Another sign is to perform simpler operations oneself and leave the complicated ones till the end, so that the only case available for the houseman to operate on is so complicated that he cannot be given the chance to operate. The third sign is to give the last case to a senior resident doctor and say one was not aware that it was the junior houseman's turn to operate. Fourth sign is to treat patients medically when they actually need surgery, so that there are fewer patients to operate on. Fifth sign is to develop an illness like a diarrhea suddenly when it is time to assist the houseman." "These seem like excuses for not assisting the houseman" the friend said. "Excuses are voluntary. these signs are probably involuntary. No doctor would consciously postpone an operation for being unwilling to assist a beginner." "Perhaps. But have you seen enough cases of this syndrome to justify calling it a syndrome?" "Plenty!" I said. "Each of these signs has been observed in real mid-level doctors, and not just once, but repeatedly. The signs are pathognomonic." "Have you named this syndrome yet?" "I cannot call it by my name. There are two problems with that. One is that people will call me egomaniac (which I am not) for giving it my name. The other problem is that many people may believe it is called so by the name of the first person in whom it was identified (which is far from the truth). I cannot come up with a name that is interesting enough." "Why don't you name it after the first person in whom you diagnosed it? Or if you feel that would look bad, a new word formed by the first letter of the first or last name of all the persons suffering from it." "I had thought of that. That would be a very long word." My friend became quiet after that. If any of my readers comes up with a catchy name, please email me the suggestion.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क