Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fitness Certification

When the civic body employs anyone, a certificate of fitness is required. When I had got into the service ages ago, they had sent me for fitness test too. The medical officer was a dark and stout woman of forty or so. She asked me to to the end of the queue and wait my turn. There were a lot of class 3 and 4 persons waiting, who needed a job more than I did. They had reached there before I did, so in all fairness they should be checked up first. So I went to the end of the line and stood there. That she was just M.B.B.S. and I was M.D. did not matter to me. She was going to certify me fit, and I was going to do what she wanted me do. But the local clerical people and servants thought I should be treated better because I was a doctor, to be appointed as a class 1 officer. So they got me to the head of the queue and made me stand there. “Why have you come here when I asked you to go to the end of the queue?” the medical officer shouted. Before I could answer her, the people who had got me there told her they had got me there, and for what reason. “OK” she grunted “come inside.” I followed her. She looked at my conjunctiva. “Do you have ear problem or a hydrocele?” she barked. “No” I said. “OK. Get a CBC and chest radiograph done and come back.” I got those done and I was certified fit. I always wondered what a hydrocele had to do with it, and how could she rely on my statement that I did not have one. She did not even touch me, leave alone checking my heart or lungs. Well, that was the way things were. Today a potential employee came looking for my Assistant Professor for being certified fit for employment. I found the doctor she wanted and the doctor certified her. The employee-to-be came back after half an hour, with a form. “They sent me back” she complained “asking me to get this form filled by the doctor.” I called the said doctor and checked in the meantime what was not filled by our doctor. They had given her a form for ophthalmic check up, with all details of eye examination printed on it. Someone had written ‘Gyn’ with a pen on it. “This is a form for ophthalmic check up” I said “not gynecological check up.” “That is what they always do” another Assistant Professor standing nearby said. “Writing ‘Gyn’ on it does not make it a Gynecological checkup form” I said. “We have to write our findings in the blank space” the doctor informed me. The employee-to-be got the necessary gynecologic details filled on the ophthalmologic form and went away. “This is the way things are” I said to no one in particular and went back to my office to continue with my work.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क