Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tug on Stethoscope

I had an idea to conduct skills workshops for the resident doctors. My staff members strongly supported that idea and barring a couple of them, they came up with teaching modules too. The resident doctors cannot be free on all days. So we decided to conduct each session three times, on different week days. Thus every resident would be able to attend the sessions.We prepared a schedule and I started with the first module. The response was good, and their participation was active. My module on objective training on monitoring different parameters of progress of labor, including accurate assessment of parameters like cervical dilatation, which are usually very subjective. The residents seemed to like it. Though they liked it, some of the residents would doze off, probably because of emergencies in the labor ward the previous night. "Hey, wake up" I said to a dozing girl. Her neighbor nudged her and she woke up, only to doze off again after five minutes. "Hey, please sit in front of me in the first row" I said "so that you will not doze off. The stuff we are discussing is important, and I don't want you to miss it." She sat in the first row. Then she dozed off again. I had an idea that I had seen in a movie of Jackie Chan. His teacher had tied a string to Jackie Chan's great toe, and the other end to his toe when going to bed. So when Chan tried to run away during the night when the teacher was asleep, the teacher's toe got pulled and Chan got caught. I had no string, but the resident doctor had a stethoscope. "Hey! Let us do one thing. Hold the chest piece of your stethoscope in your hand, and put the remaining stethoscope over the back this chair, so that I can reach its other end. If you doze off, I will tug on the other end of the stethoscope, so that you will wake up." All other resident doctors laughed. The girl became alert. But unfortunately she dozed off after a couple of minuted. I tugged on the other end of her stethoscope, and she woke up. Then she remained alert until the teaching session got over. I liked this idea so much that I used it on the second day too. It worked like a charm. On the third day, there was need for the use of this idea. I got that sleepy girl on the first row, and after she still dozed off, I used the stethoscope trick. All residents were hilarious, but that did not put her off. As soon I started talking, she went to sleep and dropped the stethoscope chest piece. They laughed and the noise of the laughter and the stethoscope hitting the floor woke her up. Five minutes later she was asleep again. I tugged on the end of the stethoscope, and she woke up. I thought she would not go to sleep after all this. But she proved me wrong. When she dozed off again and tugged on the stethoscope, she just kept nodding her head and continued to sleep. Even the laughter of other residents could not wake her up. "I could make you stand" I said "so that you will not sleep. But it is risky. If you go to sleep while standing, you may fall down and get head injury. It is better you sleep, even if it means missing out on your education." She did not sleep subsequently until the teaching session ended, because there were only three minutes to the end.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क