Friday, August 19, 2011

Lethargy or Overwhelming

I come across a lot of people, doctors, patients, relatives of patients, visitors and others. Study of their nature is something that I do not really enjoy, but somehow I end up doing it. I have noticed a curious thing among some (actually more than some) doctors in my institute. They indulge in some practices that they ought to be aware are not recommended. These things are part of the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum. Surgical asepsis and antisepsis are quite basic. Just in case they did not study very well as students, I make it a point to teach them about these issues, when they join my department, and then periodically when I find them deviating from the norms. But I have now realized that they continue to go back to their original practices sooner or later, usually sooner. Wearing a cap and mask during surgical procedures, not touching contaminated things when washed up, wearing surgical gloves without touching the outer surface of the gloves, waste disposal.... the list is endless. I have also found that the only explanation they offer when caught deviating from standard practices is "sorry sir!". So I really do not know what the real reason is for not practicing something that is essential for optimum healthcare. I have been able to come up with only two possible reasons for this. Lethargy could be one reason. Following a more complicated procedure is more taxing than a simple one, even if it is dangerous to someone else. Being overwhelmed by the work could be the other reason. In such a state of mind, perhaps one tends to perform without conscious thought. People with the first reason are criminal in nature. People with the second reason are inadequate. Both are dangerous to the society. Since appealing to their conscience does not work, the only solution to the problem seems to be constant policing and penalizing when caught. It is sad that it is the only option, and even sadder that it is not a feasible option, unless one employs people specially for that job.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क