Monday, April 30, 2012

Honorarium of One Rupee


The Boss’ Boss decided to have the performance of Honorary doctors in the civic hospitals checked. It appeared that some of them were not regular in their work The Boss made a committee of three heads of departments and put me on it. I am unable to see myself in judgmental position at any time. It is one of the reasons I refuse to be examiner for undergraduates and postgraduates. But I could not refuse, because that reason would perhaps be seen as pseudo-philosophical rather than practical. So we went around looking at various civic hospitals. The order was to get data about the qualifications and honorarium of the honorary doctors, and then assess their performance.
“These honoraries seem to be getting Rs. 1000/- per month as honorarium” I said.
“Yes. But that does not cover even half of what they spend on petrol to reach the hospital” the medical superintendent said.
“But there are four doctors who are getting one rupee per month each” I said, quite surprised.
“Yes. They have been getting that for years.”
“Why?”
He shrugged.
“Have they refused to get what the others get?”
“No. The civic body pays them one rupee each.”
The civic body wanted them to work for twenty hours a week, week after week, year after year, for one rupee a month! They must be extremely keen to serve the poor people selflessly, or they would not continue like this. And there was our team, evaluating their performance. I had never felt so ashamed at being judgmental as I felt then, even when I wrote their performance was exemplary (as it actually was), because I felt I was violating something sacred by the act of judging such people.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क