Thursday, April 12, 2012

Uterus and Gender Issue

"Sir, this patient came with 7 months of amenorrhea and preterm labor. We gave her tocolysis and betamethasone. Now she is relaxed."
"Which of the two drugs is a sedative?" I asked,
"Sedative, Sir?"
"Since she is now relaxed, she must have been tense before. Which drug relaxed her?"
"No, no. She is not relaxed. her uterus is relaxed."
"Is that what you meant when you said she was relaxed" I asked. I knew that was what the registrar meant. All of them always said so.
"Yes, Sir."
"So 'uterus' is word of feminine gender" I said.
"Um..."
"I always used to call a uterus 'it', but now that we all are gender-sensitive, perhaps the grammar is changed too. It is but right. If the woman has to bear the baby and go through all those hardships of motherhood, and if the uterus is the organ which has to hold and nurture the baby, it is but right that it becomes of feminine gender."
"Um..."
I am sure they will say 'she is relaxed' in their MS exams too, even if I pull their legs on this issue repeatedly. The wonder is that they all pass. Perhaps their examiners had also said 'she is relaxed' when they were resident doctors.

प्रशंसा करायचीय, नावे ठेवायचीयेत, काही विचारायचय, किंवा करायला आणखी चांगले काही सुचत नाहीये, तर क्लिक करा.

संपर्क